In the History class, our teacher Lenny, gave us a task that was to watch a video that was on her blog and also, to answers some questions that she put in a SlideShare. You could be alone or with the person sitting next to you. I decided to be alone.
Here is the video that we had to wached:
And here are the Questions and the Answers:
- What were the aims of the league?
The aims of the league were:
- To discourage aggression from any nation
- To encourage countries to cooperate, especially in business and trade
- To encourage nations to disarm
- To improve the living and working conditions of people in all parts of the world
2) What happened to Wilson when he returned to USA after signing the treaty of Versailles?
When Wilson was back in USA he had some problems. One problem that Wilson had was that before USA could even join the League, he needed the approval of his congress. And in the USA the idea of the league was not so popular at all, so USA never joined because the Parliament never accepted the decision.
3) Why did German immigrants in USA not want to joined the league?
The German immigrants in the USA didn’t want to joined the league because they were from Germany and the League was supposed to enforce the treaty of versailles and the treaty of versailles punished Germany, so that’s why the German immigrants disagree with the USA joining to the League.
4) What economic reason USA give to say out of the league?
The economic reasons that USA give to say out of the league was that when a county does not obey the league they had to stop trading with that country, that was really bad for USA economy because they trade a lot and if they stop trading the USA economy is the one who will suffer.
5) How did Americans feel about Imperialism in Europe?
The Americans feel that the league would be dominated by Britain and France, and would be called to help and defended their empires and the problem was that the Americans were Anti- empires.
6) Why did Poland invade Vilna? Why did the league not act about it?
Poland invaded Vilna because Poland wanted to take control. Most of Vilna’s inhabitants were Polish. When Poland invaded Vilna, the league didn’t act about it because France saw Poland as a possible ally against Germany in the future so she didn’t want to opose her. And Britain was not prepared either to act alone.
7) Why was Upper Silesia an important region for Germany and Poland?
Upper Silesia was an important region for Germany and Poland because it was the border between Germany and Poland. The region was mixed with both Germans and Poles. Under the previous rule of the German empire, the poles had been discriminated by the Germans making them second class citizens.
8) How did the league solve the problem with Vilna?
The League of Nations couldn’t solve the problem. They didn’t solve the problem because they couldn’t take and persuade the polish so that they live the city. The polish didn’t leave Vilna until WW2 started.
9) What did the league decide to do about the Aaland Island?
Finland and Sweden were on a dispute over the Aaland Island. What the league decided to do was that the Island should belong to Finland so that the avoid a war between them. It was not easy because both sizes were threatening to go to war but finally Sweden accepted the decision.
10) Why did Mussolini invade Greece in the Corfu conflict?
Mussolini invade Greece in the Corfu conflict because he was furious and blame the Greek government for the murder of Tellini and his team. Mussolini, the italian leader was furious and demanded to pay compensations and execute the murderers. But the Greeks had no idea who the murderers were. So the 31 of August Mussolini bombarded and then occupied the Greek island Corfu.
11) Why was the League criticised because of the decision of the Greek island Corfu?
Because this showed that the weakest of the powers, Italy, could get its way if they were backed up by Britain and France who agreed to sacrifice justice for cooperation.
12) How did Geneva Protocol weaken the league?
It weakened The league because there were elections in Britain and in the elections the new Conservative government refused to sign the protocol, because the protocol said that if two members were in dispute they would have to ask the league to sort out the disagreement and they would have to accept the council decision. The new conservative government refused to sing it because they were worried that Britain would be forced to agree on something that was not on its own interests. That’s why the League was weekend, because they were going to take and a very important decision so that things like this didn’t happen any more but they couldn’t so a very important plan was cancelled, so they didn’t progress at all and this disputes could happen again and start a war.
13) Why did Greece invaded Bulgaria in 1925?
The Greeks invaded Bulgaria in 1935 because there was an incident on the border in which some Greeks soldiers were killed, so they wanted revenge.
14) Why did the Greece complain that the league “seemed to have one rule for the largest states and another for the smaller a ones”?
They complain because it was unfair that the small states like her, didn’t had the same treats and preferences that the big states like for example Italy. There should be one rule for all, the small and the big countries should be treated the same way.